Jericho Underhill Water District Regulations
























                                     Amendments effective October 1, 2017














     These water system regulations, on acceptance of service, represent a contract between the customer and municipality. On application for and the granting of water service the customer will be considered to have expressed his/her consent to be bound thereby, and to take water only for legitimate purposes as stated in the rules and at the established rates and fees of the District.



            a.         “Board of Trustees” means the group of three elected officers who establish policy and regulations for the JUWD, also known as a municipality.

            b.         "Business Unit" means an office, place where business is carried out or where employees are stationed, a store, beauty salon, gasoline station, church, clinic or any other place that is not residential and is separate in service from other businesses in the same building.

            c.         "Clerk" means the duly elected or appointed person who takes meeting minutes, sends out water bills, receives payment for water charges, and issues notices for disconnection of service.

            d.         "Connection Fee” means a lump sum fee as specified in Section 28 of these regulations that is submitted to the clerk in return for permission to connect a residential or nonresidential building to the Water District's water main.

            e.         "Cross connection" means any direct or indirect pipe connection between the potable water supply and another supply of liquid or gas.

            f.          "Curb stop" means the on/off valve in the service line usually placed at the property line.

            g.         "Customer" shall mean any person, firm, corporation, government or, governmental subdivision who has applied for and is granted service or who is responsible for payment for the service.

            h.         “District” means the area defined in the JUWD charter and governed by the Board of Trustees.

            i           "District office" shall mean the place designated by the Trustees as the place to receive applications for service, payment of water bills and from which public notices are generated.

            j.          "Emergency shut-off" shall mean execution of an immediate water service shut-off due to:

                        1) water leakage between the curb stop and building;

                        2) discovery of a direct and unprotected cross connection;

                        3) excessive use of water;

                        4) violation of special "restrictive use" orders issued by the governing


                        5) or any other situation that could contaminate or significantly deplete

                            the water in the system;

            k.         "Governing body" means the Board that represents the body politic such as board of trustees, board of selectmen, board of alderman or prudential committee.

            l.          "Municipality" means a water district, fire district, town, city, village, school district or any other legally established political subdivision of the state or a town.

            m.        "Owner" means the person, firm, corporation, trusteeship or governmental agency that has title to the property that is served and is ultimately responsible for payment of all rates, fees and charges.

            n.         "Residential Unit" means a livable abode which includes as a minimum, a kitchen or kitchenette, bathroom and bedroom or room that serves as sleeping quarters.

            o.         "Service line" means the water line from the water main to the building that is served.

            p.         "Water main" shall mean a water pipe, owned, operated and maintained by the municipality, which is used for the purpose of transmission or distribution of water but is not a water service line.

            q.         "Water Main Extension Fee” means a lump sum fee as specified in Section 25 of this regulation that is submitted to the clerk with an application for extension of the water system using minimum three (3) inch inside diameter or large pipe and appurtenances.



            a.   Application for service shall be made in writing at the District office. Such application shall be made by the owner of the premises who shall be responsible for payment of water charges. The municipality may accept payment from a lessor or renter, but that does not remove the owner from liability of payment for any water bill that comes into arrears.

            b.  Application of water allocation shall include prelim engineering drawings and plans of connections for households and businesses.

            c.  All  Final plans for connection shall be approved by the district and/or its representative prior to any construction.

            d.  No person shall perform work or make modifications of connections to the water main or other service lines with prior written permission of the District.

            e.  Penalties for violating the regulations per 24 V.S.A. ss 1974 a. (see #7)





                        Whenever the municipality undertakes to do work for a customer at the customer's expense, application for such work shall be made in writing by the customer and may include a deposit of money equal to the governing body's estimated cost of the work and shall include the required connection fee. At the completion of the work a bill will be rendered and any excess deposit will be promptly returned and any amount due in excess of deposit shall be payable to the municipality. Collection fees, disconnection fees, and reconnection fees regarding non-payment of water rates shall be charged in accordance with 24 V.S.A. Chapter 129. The District may shut off water service for violation of special "restriction of water use" notices, excessive water use, and to eliminate a public health hazard or continued violations of these regulations. Any shut off by the governing board may necessitate a shut-off charge to the customer. After correction of the cause for water shut off by the customer, and on request by the customer for restoration of service, a turn-on fee plus any other required fees will be due and payable before service will be restored.


4.         CONNECTION FEE.

                        A connection fee shall be due and payable to the clerk of the municipality before the service connection is made, and shall only be made after the governing body has issued written approval. A developer intending to construct water mains shall apply to the municipality by submitting a letter and engineering plans and specifications developed by a Professional Engineer. If the plans are approved, the developer must notify the municipality 15 days in advance of the intended construction date. The connection fee for each service connection becomes due and payable to the clerk prior to the curb stop being turned on for service and prior to installation of the building water meter by the municipality.

            Water service will not be provided until the municipality has installed a meter in the building to be served. The meter will be installed within 15 working days of the municipality's receipt of a written request for a meter installation provided the applicable connection fee has been paid to the municipality and the work is satisfactory.



            a.  All service lines including the curb stop within the right-of-way shall be owned, maintained and operated only by the municipality or its representative. In the case of a development, the developer shall install that portion of the service line (water main to curb stop) that will exist within the municipality's right-of-way. Construction of the service line from the curb stop to the building shall be the responsibility of and maintained by the owner. Minimum service line diameter for a single family residence shall be 3/4" pipe.  Service lines shall consist of type K copper and all fittings shall be brass. If a service line exceeds 150 feet, the governing body may waive the copper pipe requirement as described in Section 26. All fittings and pipe shall be manufactured in the United States or Canada.

b.  In the event a leak is discovered in an owner's existing service line that does not meet the District's materials standards, water service shall be shut off by the governing body or its representative and restored after the repair is made. The owner then has 60 days to arrange for and have an approved service line installed. Said work shall be kept open by the owner for inspection and approval by a municipal representative prior to back filling. The governing body may require larger size service lines when deemed appropriate. Also, if a service line (from the curb stop to building) is discovered or known by the governing body to be constructed of materials not meeting the municipality's regulations, the municipality may require the owner to replace the line with approved pipe materials regardless of whether the line has leaked in the past.

c.  If the curb stop needs to be operated for the convenience of the customer, the customer is to contact the District to arrange for the District or its representative to operate the curb stop. The customer will be billed for this service at prevailing rates.

d.  The property owner and/or the developer shall indemnify the District for any damage directly or indirectly caused by the water service connection.



                        The governing body may deny or postpone service due to cold weather, extraordinary expense of connection, or when an applicant outside the municipal bounds applies for water.



                        A customer shall not supply water to another party except as the governing body may permit such extended use in an emergency. A customer shall not use water for any purpose not authorized by the municipality. A person shall not obtain water from any hydrant or other fixture of the municipality without the written approval of the municipality. Any violation of use shall be grounds for discontinuance of water service until the matter is resolved to the satisfaction of the governing body and any and all required disconnection and reconnection fees are paid to the district clerk.



                        When necessary to conserve the water supply, the municipality may restrict or prohibit the use of hoses and sprinklers and any other nonessential water use or water- using device for all customers. Such notice shall be posted in three places in the municipality where people generally attend and at least once in the newspaper of the area. Violation of a municipal notice, directive or order to conserve water by a customer after a verbal reminder by a municipal representative shall be grounds for immediate discontinuance of service. A hearing shall then be held, if requested by the disconnected customer, to determine if the water will continue to be shut off or will be restored. The hearing must be held by the governing board within 5 days of such request. If the governing body determines the shutoff was due to a violation of municipal notice to conserve, the shutoff and reconnection fees shall apply. If it is determined that no violation occurred, then there will be no shutoff and reconnection charge and water service will be restored within 24 hours of the determination. The minimum base fee will be adjusted on a prorated basis using 90 days for a quarter. If the board determines that the customer violated the notice to conserve, and the customer promises to comply with the municipal notice to conserve water, water service will be restored on the following day if payment of the disconnect and restoration fees have been received by the municipality. If a second violation of notice to conserve water occurs during the same "notice to conserve" period, then the water service shall be discontinued and if determined during a hearing (scheduled within 5 days of shut-off) to be in violation a second time the water shall remain shut off until the notice to conserve is lifted. Restoration of service will be made within 24 hours of the lifting of the "notice to conserve" and receipt of any required payments for disconnection and restoration of service.



                        Every service must be provided with two operable stop and waste, gate, or quarter turn valves (rated at 150 pounds per square inch) and shall be located inside the building near the service entrance, easily accessible, protected from freezing and installed on the inlet and outlet sides of the meter. This is the responsibility of the owner.



                        To prevent leaks and damage, all customers shall maintain at their own expense the plumbing and fixtures within their own premises in good repair and provide protection from freezing. The cost of replacement or repair of a meter damaged by freezing, or otherwise damaged by occupants or customers shall be charged to the customer.



                        A cross connection shall not be permitted to exist unless properly protected in accordance with policies and rules of the State Department of Environmental Conservation as relates to approved back flow devices. A cross connection shall not be created without the approval of the governing body, and shall be protected against back flow and/or back siphonage, whichever the case may require. In addition, a connection capable of permitting back flow from any other source of water, any plumbing fixture, device or appliance, or from any waste outlet or pipe having direct connection to waste drains to the public water system is prohibited. If the owner of the building involving such a connection fails or refuses to eliminate or properly protect the cross connection within a time period established by the governing body, water service will be discontinued. The governing body will take into account the seriousness of the violation in establishing a time period for the owner to make the correction, but in no case shall it exceed 60 days. If service is discontinued due to non-compliance, a hearing will be held by the governing body on request of the affected owner, within five days of shut off to determine if service will continue to be discontinued or if it will be restored. If service will be restored, the governing body may establish conditions for restoration and shall require payment of disconnection and reconnection fees.

Buildings to be served by new connections shall include a dual check back flow device number “American Society of Sanitary Engineers” (A.S.S.E) 1024 located at the building entrance near the meter.

 The water system shall be protected against back flow of water from above or below ground swimming pools with a district approved vacuum breaker attached or built in to the hose bib or faucet. It is the customer's responsibility to purchase and install this vacuum breaker device.



                        a. No customer shall install a water pump or high rate water consumption device that will adversely affect the water system's pressure or operating condition or use water so as to unduly interfere with the service of another customer. Where a customer has or proposes to install apparatus which requires water in sudden and/or large quantities, which will reduce the operating pressure in the main or service line substantially, or cause damage or inconvenience to other customers, the governing body shall require such customers to install devices or apparatus which will confine such fluctuation of demand and pressure within reasonable limits determined by the governing body. If the customer, after receiving written notice from the municipality, fails to offer an acceptable remedial plan within a time limit set by the governing body, a hearing shall be held within five days to determine whether or not service will continue. If waiting the 5 days for a hearing to be scheduled will, in the opinion of the governing board, pose a public health threat to other customers, then water service shall be immediately terminated until it is established at a hearing what action, if any, will be taken. Such action may include continued termination of service.

                        b. The use of District Water in an open-ended (to waste) non recirculating system for cooling or heating a building or portion thereof is prohibited. Exceptions to this rule may be granted by the Board for special cases if sufficient water exists.

            c.  The District shall not be liable for injury, loss or damage of whatever nature occasioned by failure to maintain constant, uniform pressure within the water mains, leakage of hydrants, pipes, etc ..or for damage occasioned by insufficient supply.



            a. All customers having hot water tanks, or secondary systems supplied by automatic make-up valves shall have installed and maintained in operating condition appropriate vacuum, temperature, back flow and pressure relief valves to prevent damage to the water device or secondary system or their appurtenances should it become necessary for the governing body to shut off the water main or water service line and to protect against loss of pressure due to any other reason. Water service supplied to any customer not providing such protective devices will be done at the customer's risk. Accordingly, the municipality will not consider itself liable for damage resulting from the lack of or failure of such protective devices as required in this section.

            b. No person shall willfully/negligently damage the water system; interfere or obstruct access to water; contaminate water supply: or cause wasteful consumption of water.



                        a. Water service pipes shall not be placed in the same trench with another pipe unless the other pipe contains water from the same system or has been abandoned, and shall be kept at least 10 feet away from all combined or sanitary sewers including house sewers. A 5 foot separation shall be minimum distance between storm sewers and the waterline. An abandoned sewer line shall have 20 feet removed and both remaining ends shall be plugged with a non-shrinking type concrete. The governing body considers the common use of a trench for water lines, sewer pipes and electrical lines to represent unacceptable construction practice which, if done would increase the risk of contamination of the water system and therefore represents a public health and safety hazard. Common trench construction shall be grounds for denial or discontinuance of water service if established at a hearing held by the governing body.

                        b. Water pipes shall be laid on firmly packed soil at a depth of 5 1/2 feet from grade to the top of the pipe and be covered with rigid insulation board of at least 2 inches thick by 2 feet wide using 250-rated extruded Styrofoam or equal or better.



                        New service or extension of mains shall not be constructed during the period October 15 to April 15. However, on approval of the governing body and if the customer assumes all extra expense over ordinary construction costs by written consent, cold weather construction of a service line may be permitted.



                        The owner of the premises upon accepting service to his/her property is responsible for payment of all charges for water service rendered to the property. Once connected to the water system, the owner is obligated to pay at least the minimum base fee regardless of whether the water is shut off or turned on, and regardless of whether the residence or business is occupied plus any additional fees as shown by meter or based on a flat rate if no meter exists.



                        Bills will be issued quarterly based on the calendar year the amounts of which will be in accordance with rates shown in Section 27. Said bills are due immediately and will be in arrears if unpaid 30 days following receipt by the customer. Interest will be charged to all bills in arrears at the rate of one percent per month or fraction thereof, for the first three months, and thereafter one and one-half percent per month or fraction thereof from the date such bill is in arrears. Such interest shall be imposed on a fraction of a month as if it were an entire month. Bills in arrears shall be due and payable in accordance with procedures set forth in 24 V.S.A. Chapter 129. A charge of the actual bank fee plus $15.00 will be assessed for a check returned by a bank.



                        Water System employees, contractual agents, and members of the governing body, with suitable identification shall have access to all premises served water, at reasonable hours, for the purpose of inspecting plumbing and fixtures, identification of cross connections, to set, remove or read meters, to ascertain the amount of water used and the manner of use, and to enforce these regulations. If a customer or building occupant denies access to the premises, the customer or occupant must immediately arrange for an inspection that will take place within 24 hours, otherwise water service will be discontinued and the established disconnect and re-connect fees will apply. Reconnection shall not be made until an authorized municipal representative has been permitted to inspect the premises and finds no valid reason to continue the disconnection of service.



                        Bills for water service are due and payable to the clerk when received as indicated on the statement and shall be considered delinquent when unpaid after thirty (30) days.

            Water service may be discontinued:

            1) by reason of nonpayment of water bills;

            2) to eliminate a health hazard;

            3) for violation of any special order restricting water use;

            4) or for any other violation of these regulations.

Discontinuance of water service for a regulation violation shall not be made without a hearing except when such shut off is necessary to eliminate a health hazard, to rectify an emergency, or for fraudulent use of water. If the customer requests a hearing, one shall be held within 5 working days of the request to determine if service will continue to be denied, or if to be restored the conditions that must be met by the customer to render continued service. Service, once discontinued shall not be restored until the reason for discontinuance of service has been eliminated. Before service is discontinued for delinquency of payment, the district shall follow the procedure set forth in 24 V.S.A. Chapter 129. Notice for payment request and shut-off will be mailed at least 14 days in advance of the shut-off date. Shut-off on account of delinquency of water rate payment will not be made on a day immediately preceding a weekend or state or federal holiday. When the governing body dispatches an agent to effect a shut-off caused by delinquency of payment and, upon arrival, payment is made to the agent for all charges due, service will be permitted to continue, but continuance of service will be subject to a collection charge as established by 24 V.S.A. Chapter 129. If a violation of rules, health hazard or emergency incident results in a shut-off, a turn-on charge of $25.00 will be assessed for resumption of service in addition to the disconnection charge if the problem is determined to be the responsibility of the customer.



                        If, by reason of shortage of supply or for the purpose of making repairs, extensions, connections, placing or replacing meters, or for any reason beyond the control of the municipality, it becomes necessary to shut water off in a main or service line, the municipality will not be responsible for any damages caused by such shut-off and no adjustment of rates will be allowed unless the interruption is in effect for a continuous period in excess of ten days, in which case a prorated adjustment of the minimum base fee will be made on the next billing. Notice of water shut-off will be issued when feasible, but nothing in this regulation shall be construed as requiring the giving of such notice. The municipality will not be responsible for damage caused by discolored water or unsatisfactory water service which may be occasioned by flushing of mains, cleaning of wells or reservoirs, or the opening or closing of any valves or hydrants, or any abnormal condition, unless caused by the lack of reasonable care on the part of the municipality. The municipality will not be responsible for meeting unusually high water quality standards for specialized or industrial customers nor will it be held responsible for interrupted service or poor water quality caused by Fire Department personnel or District representatives using the hydrants.


21.       METERS.

            a.         GENERAL. Where possible all water will be sold on the basis of metered measurements. When it is impractical to install a meter such as in a mobile home, and on approval by the governing body, a flat rate basis shall be used to establish water charges. The municipality may install meters whenever deemed expedient or appropriate. The customer can receive water through a meter upon written application to the clerk of the municipality after payment of all required fees. The size of the meter will in all cases be determined by the governing body and these regulations.  The meter is supplied by the District, is the property of the District, and is owned by the District. Only the District or its representative may install, calibrate, adjust, repair or remove the meter.

            b.         METER SETTING. All meters shall be installed as close as possible to the point of entry of the service pipe into the building, and the customer shall provide and maintain a warm and accessible place therefore. The cost of the standard 5/8” x 3/4" meter and installation shall be born by the municipality. The piping arrangement for meter installations shall be in accordance with the requirements of the municipality. The cost of meters larger than the standard 5/8" x 3/4" and installation of same shall be the responsibility of the building owner. A municipal representative must inspect and approve the meter installation.

            c.         METER VAULTS. When the customer fails or neglects to furnish a suitable location for a meter inside his/her building or when for other reasons it is necessary or expedient to locate the meter outside the building, an underground vault, acceptable to the governing body, and only on approval by the governing body shall be provided by the customer and maintained at the expense of the customer. The vault shall have built-in ladder rungs and be at least 5 feet in inside diameter and include a remote reading device. It shall be insulated and extend at least 6 feet deep to accommodate normal trench soil cover for the service line.

            d.         REPAIRS. Meter repairs and replacements necessitated by ordinary wear will be paid for by the municipality. Repairs and meter replacement necessitated by freezing, hot water, or by other causes under the control of the customer will be charged to the customer, including the cost of removing and replacing the damaged meter.


            e. TESTING. The governing body shall arrange for suitable means of testing its meters. All tests initiated by the District will be at the sole expense of the municipality. Requests made by the customer require a deposit to cover the cost of removal, testing and reinstallation. If a meter tested at the request of a customer shows the meter does not conform to flow tolerance criteria established in these rules, the deposit made by the customer will be refunded and a new or rebuilt meter will be installed. If the meter conforms to the standards of these rules, the customer’s deposit will be retained by the municipality, and the meter may be continued in use at the same location or a new meter may be installed at the discretion of the governing body.

For determination of accuracy of positive cold water displacement meters. Table 1 noted below with tolerances as stated shall be used.

Table 1



Meter Size
















1 1/2’





















A meter shall not be placed in service if it registers over or under by more than 2% at the intermediate or maximum flows or less than 90% of the minimum flow.

            f.          MULTIPLE METERS. Water shall not be double metered. Each newly constructed apartment and each residential unit of a town house, condominium, or duplex building shall be metered separately. Each town house unit and condominium unit shall have a separate service connection and meter. Existing apartments may remain with one meter per building, but the correct size meter must be installed if not already in place. Apartments may, however, be metered separately on request of the owner, but the owner must bear the expense of plumbing change-over. In such case the governing body shall approve the plumbing arrangement prior to the plumbing modification. The municipality shall provide standard meters (5/8" x 3/4") at no cost to the owner an agent of the municipality shall install the meters and make the connection to the plumbing. If the building plumbing does not meet the state's plumbing code, a connection for service shall not be made. However, buildings constructed prior to 1959 are not required to comply with the plumbing code except that an unprotected cross connection shall be grounds for denial of service. The governing body may permit the owner’s licensed plumber to install the meters, but inspection and seal application shall be done by the municipality's representative.



             a.        METER MALFUNCTION OR REMOVAL. If a meter is removed from service, the governing body will make an estimate of the water consumption during the period of removal, said estimate to be based on the average consumption for similar periods for the customer, and the charges will be computed accordingly.

            b.         ADJUSTMENT. When a meter is tested and a meter error is found to be in excess of 2%, an appropriate percentage adjustment shall be made to the metered consumption record of the past billing period, and the portion to date of the current billing period. The charges shall be adjusted accordingly when the meter over- registers outside the 2% flow value for intermediate or maximum flows or less than 90% of the amount in the minimum flow column in Table 1.


23.       FIRE HYDRANTS.

            a.         ALLOWED DISTRICT USES. Fire hydrants shall not be used for any purpose other than the extinguishment of fires or for such purposes as may be agreed to by the governing body. In no case shall fire hydrants be opened by any person other than an agent of the municipality or a duly authorized representative of the Fire Department in the defense against fire or special training as approved by the governing body.

            b.         COMMUNITY ASSISTANCE USES.

 For defense against fire, or other emergency need, the Underhill-Jericho Fire Department is authorized to draw water from District hydrants for use on non-customer property in the district and surrounding area. If this is done the District at its discretion is authorized to charge the owner of the property for the water used.



                      Tampering with municipal property is not permitted. Any valve, pump-house hydrant, water main, service line, reservoir or any other appurtenant part of the water system which is deemed the property of the municipality, shall not be adjusted, operated or tampered with by any person except those authorized by the governing body. If a customer or owner is known to have tampered with any District property or its works, such action shall be grounds for discontinuance of water service and any cost due to such tampering will be charged to said owner.



                        Any person, corporation or governing body desirous of constructing an addition to the water system shall first apply to the municipality. Upon preliminary approval of the application, the applicant shall have final plans and specifications developed by a Professional Engineer, registered to practice engineering in Vermont together with an engineer's hydraulic report in accordance with the 1997 Recommended Standards for Water Works (ten states' standards) published by Health Education Services, P.O. Box 7283, Albany, New York 12224. Said plans, report and a letter describing the proposed project shall be submitted to the municipal office. Construction shall not commence until approval of plans has been issued by:

            1) the State Department of Environmental Conservation (in the case of extensions exceeding 500 linear feet or which will serve a hydrant) and

            2) the governing body of the municipality.

All work performed by non-municipal agents, such as developers or home owners, shall remain uncovered until an authorized municipal representative has inspected the work and indicates satisfaction and acceptance of the work. When water mains are to be constructed, the developer shall engage a professional engineer to observe the construction to insure the work proceeds in accordance with the approved plans. The developer's Professional Engineer shall certify to the governing body as to the completeness, suitability and adherence to the approved plans including bacteriological and pressure testing. The Professional Engineer shall comment on the failure or passage of such tests and make recommendations to the Governing Body regarding acceptance or rejection. All bacteria samples (minimum of two shall be collected) must be negative for coliform bacteria and pressure leakage standard tests shall meet the latest standards offered by the American Water Works Association. Water service shall not be authorized by the Governing Body until the Governing Body has accepted the Professional Engineer's certification in writing and issued written permission to serve the customers with drinking water, and shall include submission of record drawings to the municipality within 60 days of acceptance by the governing body. If the governing body believes that the water main extension is not being constructed in accordance with the approved plans, the governing body may engage a professional engineer to review the work and provide a report to the governing body regarding compliance with the plans. The cost of the engineer shall be the responsibility of the applicant if discrepancies are noted between approved plans and the constructed water main extension are noted which are unacceptable to the District. Any discrepancies noted shall be corrected by the applicant under the observation of the governing body's professional engineer at the expense of the applicant for both engineering observation and construction correction.

                        Where the water main extension will include a water main that will loop back and reconnect to the existing water main, a second water main extension fee will not be charged for that project. The District will accept ownership of the water main extension one year following essential completion of the water extension project provided it is in good condition. Until acceptance by the District, repairs to the water main extension will be the responsibility of the developer who shall notify the District operator, clerk or a board member prior to making the repair. However, the governing body of the Water District shall maintain control over all valves and water use in the project area. Essential project completion occurs on the date the Water District clerk receives written certification from the developer's engineer that the water main and service lines were constructed in accordance with the approved plans and that the water main extension passed pressure testing, was flushed, disinfected, flushed again and passed bacteriological testing.

The following water main extension fees shall be assessed anyone who receives approval to extend a water main and is due and payable to the District clerk at the time of the planned connection.

3 inch diameter main extension


4 “       “             “       “


6”        “            “        “


8”        “            “        “



Section 26.       MATERIALS:

                        The following materials shall be used for repairs and new construction:


            a. Water Mains

(1). Class 52 Cement Lined Ductile


                        (2). The Board may at its discretion approve the use of other materials for

 water mains.

Other materials must be approved for use in water mains by the Water Supply Division    

of the State of Vermont and conform to the applicable specifications of the Vermont Environmental Protection Rule Chapter 21 Water Supply Rule, and the applicable

specifications of the American Water Works Association (AWWA) and the American    

National Standards Institute (ANSI)


ii. Water mains must be locatable by electrical means. Non-conductive mains must be

installed with a conductive tracer wire.


                        (3). The Board or its representative must inspect and approve the

                        construction and installation of all water mains.


            b.         Service Lines

                        (1). Main to curb stop: Type K Copper, minimum size shall be 3/4 inch I.D. Newly

                               installed curb stop valves shall not include a waste port.

                        (2). Curb stop to building - Type K Copper, minimum shall be 3/4 inch I.D.

            c.         Plumbing (water supply pipes) must meet the State's Plumbing Code for buildings

                         constructed after July 1, 1959.

            Note: On replacement, service lines greater than 150 feet long (measured from the curb stop

             to building) the governing body may waive the copper pipe requirement and permit

             alternative piping with at least 200 psi rating. In every case however the pipe material

             between the main and curb stop shall be Type K copper.



a.  The Board of Trustees shall have the authority to establish rates at an open/ warned meeting of the Board.

            b.  Yearly rates will be available and published in a separate document or attachment to these regulations.

c.  Bills shall be tendered quarterly following the quarterly meter reading. Quarterly rates for each residential unit customer or business unit customer are as follows:



            The customer or developer is responsible for all costs associated with the connection to the water main and the installation of a service line(s). All materials, devices, and workmanship for the connection to the main and the installation of the curb stop, service line and meter must be inspected and approved by the District Board or its representative. Materials and devices such as taps, valves, and meters must conform to current District practices. A connection includes material, devices, and labor for tapping the main, installing piping to a District curb stop valve, installing a District curb stop valve, installing a service line, providing a suitable location for a meter, and installing a water meter. 


(1) New connection 1 residential unit $3,000.00

(2) Existing building with connection by 3/4" I.D. Service where one apartment will be constructed    using existing bedrooms in the home, resulting in two living units. $880.00

(3) Existing building with 3/4" I.D. service where more than two living units will be made from existing rooms.

Third or, third and fourth living unit(s) require a 3/4" service.

Third living unit $2,200.00

Fourth living unit $1760.00

(4) Existing building and connection with 3/4" I.D. Service line where one apartment will be added on to the building requires installing a second 3/4" I.D. service connection with meter. Add one residential unit with separate connection. $3,000.00

(5) Existing building and connection with 3/4" I.D. service line where two apartments will be added to the building. Add new 1" I.D. service connection with two meters. $3,600.00

(6) Condominiums or Town House type building, new connections required for each living unit, each unit with a meter. $2,000.00

(7) Duplex residential building requires two 3/4" I.D. Service connections each with a meter. $4,000.00 total

(8) Apartments (New Buildings)

1. Two apartments. One 1" I.D. service line and two 5/8" meters required $3,600.00

2. For more than two apartments add $1,600.00 for each unit (apartment) to the original $3,600.00 as for 1 above. Service line sizes required as follows, with a water meter near service entrance as shown below:






3 apartments



3 apartments



4 apartments

1 1/4”


5 apartments

1 1/4”


6 apartments

1 1/2”


7 apartments

1 1/2”


8 apartments

1 1/2”


9 apartments

1 1/2”

1 1/2”

10 apartments

1 1/2”

1 1/2”

11 apartments


1 1/2”

12 apartments


1 1/2”

                For more than 12 apartments the governing board will determine line size.



Each individual business is subject to connection as follows:

(1) Initial connection to water main.

3/4" Service $3000.00

1" Service $4100.00

1 1/4" Service $5100.00

1 1/2" Service $6000.00

2" Service $7100.00

2 1/2" Service $8100.00

3" Service $9000.00

4" Service $11000.00

6" Service $12000.00

8” Service $13500.00


(2) Additional charge for, each business unit within the building. $1,600.00


            (3) Each residential or business unit, whether by itself or with a larger building is subject to billing for the base fee plus metered amount as established by these regulations. Whether a residential or business unit is or is not occupied or in use, the base fee shall apply and become due quarterly. If the owner of the served premises presents in writing to the Governing Body that he/she no longer desires water service, the Governing Body, on payment of all past due accounts, will disconnect the service line at the curb stop. Restoration of service can occur only after the Governing Body receives the connection fee as outlined in Section 28. When only one meter exists for the building, the water bill will be sent to the building owner for payment in full unless other arrangements have been made and agreed to by the governing body. Nonetheless, the building owner is totally responsible for payment of the water bill. The base fee shall be charged for each residential or business unit plus the metered amount. If a single business connection requires a larger service connection because of anticipated high water use, connection fees in accordance with section 28 c.(1) shall apply.




_____________________                  ______________________           ________________________

Joseph O’Brien, President                       Jason Ritter, Trustee                 Stephen Jennings, Trustee



Originally Adopted       1971

Amended                     1980

Amended                     1987

1990 Amendments Approved October, 29, 1990

1990 Amendments Effective December, 28, 1990

1992 Amendments Effective December, 25, 1992

1993 Amendments Effective October, 1, 1993

1994 Amendments Approved October 24, 1994

1994 Amendments Effective December, 23, 1994

1997 Amendments Effective January 2, 1998

2002 Amended October 28, 2002 Amendment effective January 1, 2003

2003 Amended #4 page 4 October 27, 2003. Amendment effective January 2, 2004

2003 Amended #27 page 16 Minimum Base Fee October 27, 2003 Amendment effective April 1, 2004

2004 Amended #27 page 16 Table for Disconnection and Restoration Fees .Amendment effective January 1, 2005 Amended Section 5 for curb stop operation, Section 21 for meter ownership, and Section 27 for applicability of quarterly rates. Amendment effective January 1, 2006.

2008 Amended Section 26. Materials Amendment effective January 1, 2009

2008 Amended Section 4, Connection Fee Amendment effective January 1, 2009


2008 Amended Section 27, Water Rates and Charges Amendment effective January 1, 2009


2008 Amended Section 28, Connection Fees Amendment effective January 1, 2009


2009 Amended Section 27, Water Rates and Charges Amendment effective January 1, 2010


2014 Amended Section 27, Water Rates and Charges Amendment effective October 1 ,2014


2015 Amended Section 27, Water Rates and Charges Amendment effective July 1, 2015

2017 Amended Section 27, Water Rates and Charges Amendment effective October 1 2017




Pay Bill Online


good hits
Websites Statistics Tool